NEW YORK CITY — Halloween could be one of the crucial enjoyable nights of the yr, however trick-or-treaters ought to maintain their wits about them. On an evening when everyone seems to be dressed as a monster, criminals can mix proper in.
The NYPD has launched an inventory of security ideas to make sure that the one factor trick-or-treaters endure from this yr is a abdomen ache brought on by stuffing their faces with sweet.
Chief among the many security ideas is that youngsters going trick-or-treating ought to all the time be accompanied by an grownup, even when touring with a gaggle of buddies.
Listed here are the NYPD’s recommendations on staying protected this Halloween:
- Concentrate on your environment always;
- Keep away from poorly lit areas and houses of strangers;
- Journey in teams. Keep in mind there’s security in numbers, and have a minimum of one grownup;
- Keep away from displaying valuables and digital units. Thieves will use the vacation to cover behind a masks to commit crimes;
- Don’t use cellphones whereas crossing the road;
- Make certain young children are carrying emergency identification info in case of unintentional separation. Take a photograph of youngsters of their costumes earlier than they go trick-or-treating.
- Solely eat Halloween sweet that’s distributed in its applicable, unopened packaging.
Darkish, crowded streets — and a propensity for drivers to eat alcohol — additionally make Halloween a harmful for pedestrians. The Nationwide Freeway Visitors Security Administration (NHTSA) stories that Halloween is among the three most harmful nights for pedestrian fatalities and accidents.
Listed here are some ideas for pedestrian security this Halloween:
Get free real-time information alerts from the New York Metropolis Patch.